Monday, July 22, 2013

#MCM

Well, look at me... doing two blogs on their proper days. How nifty....

Okay, so this edition of #MyCoach'sMoment is a pretty good one, I've got to admit. The coach is getting really pumped about the team coming back into town next month. So with that, his brain is 95% geared towards them. I don't mind. I'm pretty jazzed for them to get here too :) I miss my babies.... I mean.... the team. Their the coach's team, not my friends... yup.... oh the heck with it, their my friends too. Sorry.

#MCM numero.... 4? 3? 5? I dunno. Something :: Expect Unexpected Opportunity.

The coach is currently reading John Wooden's Wooden on Leadership. It's a pretty solid read. One of the points Wooden makes is to 'Encourage Ambition'. Like Wooden, the coach sees the value of ambitious players - or in this case, judgers. They work their tails off and love to win. Two things we like to see in the livestock judging world. These ambitious people are key for successful situations. However, with that Wooden stresses that the overly ambitious must proceed with caution - a point the coach really thought hit home. Wooden quotes....

"Be ready when your opportunity arrives, or it may not arrive again."

Often these type of individuals lack patience or the ability to handle failure. As hard as judgers work, it can suck not to get cards on contest morning. But, you've got to roll with the punches and realize that even sitting on the bench gives you a unique opportunity. Make the most of it. One of the best things that happened in my entire judging career was not getting cards the morning of the American Royal when I was judging at Butler. There isn't a more stressful feeling in this world than watching your team judge and having no idea what they are marking or seeing. It's awful. And it also lit one heck of a fire in my belly. That drive led me to getting cards at Louisville, and led Buco to a "w" that day. So, if you sit, don't get down on yourself. For the love of God, do not get all cranky - selfish little.... ugh, sorry - take that energy and push yourself harder with it.

On the other hand, when you do get cards, make the most of it. You might not get that opportunity again. Be ambitious enough to know that when game day does come for you, your gonna lead your team to victory.

The coach also notes how this mentality can relate to the job market. It's tough for people our age to get the job they've always wanted. The market sucks lately, and a high salaried position is tough to come by. However, no matter what opportunity does come, make the most of it. You never know where something or someone will take you. The coach and I are both extremely lucky in that we both have the careers we wanted when we were little. (I know, corny, but true) We both feel very fortunate for that and thank God every single day. But, we see our friends struggles with finding jobs. It breaks our hearts, but all we can say is keep your chins' up y'all! Never give up, keep trying and keep the faith. Good things come to good people who work hard and remain ambitious!

Things might change with the sudden snap of your fingers. You have to be prepared to roll with the punches and know that no matter what, God's plan for you and for us is a great one!


Hope you enjoyed this week's edition to #MCM. I realize it may not have been as entertaining as last week..... for which my entire body is thankful.. woof.


toodle-loo!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment