Tuesday, July 30, 2013

#MCM, another day-late edition

Don't hate. Life happens. This past weekend we were in ftw for the AMAZING Taylor/McGolden wedding (SO MUCH FUN). Then we flew to PA on Sunday.... and I got lazy yesterday.... So you are getting your #MCM a day late. Again, get over it.

This week's MCM :: Cheap airlines and hidden fees.

This is a good one. So the coach found some REALLY cheap tickets for our flight home from DFW to Philly. Thought we were getting a great deal. It was with an airlines that neither of us had ever heard of - it shall remain nameless... but it starts with an S and ends with a pirit. Anyway, when we got to DFW, we found out the price for checking a bag was nothing short of retarded. AND your bag had to weigh under 40, not 50. AND you could only carry one personal item with you on the plane. AND the cost of any extra personal items with $50. ANNNNNDDD you had to pay for everything on the actual flight... including a cup of water. It was a little less than ideal.

Essentially, we ended up paying way more for the flight than what we would have it we had just booked through one of the more popular airlines.... or just drove to PA.

But our fun didn't end there. Now, I realize this next part is NOT the fault of our not-so-beloved "cheap" airlines... but still... it adds to the story. About 10 minutes before landing, the captain came over the loud speaker saying we were going to have to stay in the air an additional 20 minutes because the weather was so bad in Philly and most of the runways were flooded. Super. Awesome. NOT. Did I mention that  HATE HATE HATE flying? I mean I froggin' HATE it. I have the WORST luck with airports. I'm talking red-headed step-child bad luck. Last year on the way home from NAILE, the coach and I had two sperate flights. Mine was supposed to leave five minutes before his. Well, my flight got delayed 12 FROGGIN' HOURS and he made it home before I could even find an earlier flight out of louisville. And that's not even one of my really bad stories.... Anyway. Once we got on the ground, we then had to wait for a gate to open... again because the flooding was so bad that only a few gates were in operating condition. We literally "drove" the plane through water. Like ponding water, flooded. I digress. That took another 30/40 minutes. Here comes the really super part --- one of the stuartist came over the speaker and said our luggage claim would not be in a typical area, because the airport was experiencing power outages. She said there would be someone directing us to where we could pick up our bags. Well.. That ended up meaning walking out of the airport and back in through the departure check-in desk area. WHICH WAS COMPLETELY PITCH BLACK. Like no lights.... nothing.... and it was nearing 9 PM outside... during a storm. So.... Picturing the scene from a slasher movie? Yeah, I was too. It was froggin' scary.   In order to get our bags, we all waited around until they were hand taken to the front check-in desks. From there, the check-in, cranky, "I need a stiff drink" wenches used a flashlight to one-by-one call out the names on each bag and wait for the owner to come up with proper identification to claim it. It was special. Needless to say, security was almost called on numerous REALLY pissed off ladies and gents... this Yankee not included (my mother should be proud). I mean, I don't blame the flashlight ladies... it wasn't their fault the lights went out. But I also totally understand where the guy who threatened to "call TSA on all their ignorant a$$es" was coming from. It was kind of a high stess situation. Oooooh yeah, one big pile of brother-love in the Philadelphia airport, lemme tell ya.

Oh, and once we had our bags, we still had to direct ourselves around a PITCH BLACK airport with our over-40-pound bags to the rental car area... You want to talk about creepy, I'll give you creepy. Yuck.

Yeah, it was great. Did I mention I hate flying? I hate it. And stupid fees and charges from cheap-o, crappy airlines.




But I sure do love PA.. more on that later. That is, if I don't get lazy.





I'm walking back to Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment