Monday, June 24, 2013

My Coach's Moment

In light of those silly little social media hashtags given for each day of the froggin' (ribbit, ribbit) week, I have decided to take a spin on #mcm, or Man Crush Monday. Each Monday, the coach will choose the topic of my blog. I mean, I may give him a little bit of grief on this here blog, but I love the man and value his opinions more than anyone else's... and he really is my forever #mcm. So why not dedicate #mcm to more than just an Instagram pic?

So here it is. The first #mcm - and in this case I mean #My Coach's Moment. Joe chose the title. I wish I could take credit, but I can't. He's such a smarty pants.

#MCM : Cute little girls with bows and cute little boys with fohawks.

Now, now... don't worry. We are NOT with child. And this is NOT some creeper type post. What the coach is referring to is cute little girls with bows showing cattle... same with little guys and fohawks. When I told him about #mcm for my blog, he immediately thought about back to this past weekend at the Golden Spread. If there is one thing that will make the coach smile bigger than Texas, it's when a cute little girl comes into the ring with a huge bow in her hair, dragging behind her a kick ace steer or heifer. It's like an instantaneous reaction that he wants to put them first. Same holds true with the fohawk. I may be partly to blame for this. The first show he went to go judge without me tagging along, I told him not to just use the 'cute little girl with the big bow in her hair' for showmanship. It was definitely a joke. The coach is absolutely wonderful with kids, especially younger ones. They make him literally light up. It's precious to watch... however, I worry that he will use one of those cuties, just because they are cute. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that... sort of. If they deserve it, then by all means give them the blue ribbon. Anyway, now whenever he does use the cutie with the bow, he goes on the mic and tells the story of me saying don't just use them. It can be embarrassing... I sometimes can feel the angry eyes of nearby mothers who think I have no soul. I do... I really do.... it was a joke.... he is even joking on the mic, I swear!! And this past weekend showed that.

There was plenty of adorbs little ones dragging some stellar prospects into the ring... but a few really honestly made MY heart melt. Sometimes, the coach will look up into the stands at me - partly to see if I am paying attention or just reading, and partly to see what my reaction is to a certain calf... or in this case a certain exhibitor. There were two that come to mind. The first was the MOST PRECIOUS little guy I have ever seen with a super cool looking lightweight Maine steer. He couldn't have been more than 7. And he was rocking to fohawk. And he was shorter than his steer. And it was SO CUTE! I looked at Joe with eyes that said, if you don't put him first, you are walking home. He got the hint... that and the steer honestly was awesome. It made him smile. Who wouldn't smile? The second 'awe' moment came with a little lady that I am quite used to seeing in the ring. She is easily the most incredible little thing that ever hit the show steer world. If I ever have a daughter (please, God, just don't) I want her to be just like this little wonder. Holy fluffy cow is she not just adorable? She hauled in the coolest little simmi steer.... and again, I looked at Joe.... and again, he listened to my unspoken words. I still think that steer was one of my favorite from the whole show. I really belief it's partly because of how precious she is. No, she wasn't wearing a bow - but how could ANY judge miss her? I mean seriously?!?!

When the coach gave me the topic I kind of laughed, but he proves a really big point : cute kids sell. A calf looks twice as quality when it is being stuck by a young, innocent looking showman. You can't not love them. Most of the time, a steer will work better for them, too. They pose less of a threat and really become (pardon the cheese) their friend. Call me a show mom-in-training, but this is the biggest thing I am looking forward to when we do have children. I mean, who honestly can resist this sight???

Yet another reason I refuse to judge shows.

No comments:

Post a Comment