Monday, June 17, 2013

Ink Dreams

Yesterday, Joe's family had one of their usual get-together type lunch's for Father's Day. Since these are typically held at Joe's house, it makes for the perfect opportunity to spend a little R&R working whatever steers are in the barn. While messing with one of the calves, my nephew(in-law) noticed my clover tattoo on my ankle. He immediately put on this horrified face and began lecturing me on how my body is God's and not my own. Mind you, this little guy is 9 (I think?), so hearing this kind of took me by surprise. He asked me why I would do such a thing as get a permanent tattoo. I told him, it was not my only tattoo, to which he demanded to see every other ink piece - setting me over the edge. I realize he is a child, but this judgement struck a nerve. We (as a culture) are fine with piercing the ears of our infants, but when it comes to tattoos, most people turn up their noses. One of my tattoos is God's words for crying the sunshine. Nothing vulgar or offensive. My young nephew was judging me for a four-leaf clover I have on my ankle. Repeating how disappointed he was in me and how horrible and ugly it was. The darn thing is smaller than a dime. Like really? But in the eyes of too many, I am putting graffiti on God's possession.

Let's go over my tattoos for the record.
*I got my first the summer of 2007 - my mother was with me. It is (like I said) a four-leaf clover. I am extremely superstitious and as a child would find actual four-leaf clovers in our backyard just about on a daily basis. I also used to set that particular foot a little bit further than the other when I gave reasons during collegiate judging. So obviously, I thought it was appropriate.
*My second came the summer of 2009. It is on the dead center of my back (not lower, not higher) and is a symbol meaning courage. I got it because the design is really cool and I believe it is an extra shot of courage pushing me forward. Of my tattoos, this one I like the least.
*Third ink came in the fall of 2012. It is a white tattoo of an infinity symbol with 'love' scripted in the curves. It is on my wrist, and I love it. Hardly anyone notices it.
*Fourth is my favorite. Joe loves my tattoos. Ask him. He does. He also isn't shy about the fact that he loves rib tattoos on the female species (not in a weird way). Before our wedding I had him write down a few lines of his favorite scriptures. Something that meant something to him. I took his writing and got it tattooed on my ribs - right on my side, hidden by everything except a string bikini. I kept it hidden from him and 'surprised' him with it on our wedding night. If you want to tell me I'm wrong for getting tattoos, well you didn't see the look on my husband's face when he saw God's words in his handwriting that will be on his wife forever. Sorry. He calls it 'his' tattoo... because it is.

I do not think my ink is that terrible. I do plan on getting more done, and in the near future. If you think it is an issue of whether or not I think my body is mine, or God's, well that's a different subject. I was raised Lutheran, converted to Catholicism after much time studying, praying and spending time with God. I have always been a christian and can not imagine my life without faith. So yes, I do know that my body is not mine. Which is why I don't use/eat/drink (in excess) things that will harm my body. I can think of a few people who claim to be holier than anything, yet go and get trashed or stoned whenever possible. I have prayed about each piece that I have had drawn on my body, and have never been told it was the wrong decision. You can go ahead and preach to me, just please don't live in a glass house about it. There... vent over. Breathe in, breathe out.

But, then again, how to you explain this to a 9-year-old. I chose to ignore him for rest of the afternoon. I'm so mature. In ten years I plan on taking him for his first tattoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment