Saturday, August 16, 2014

Toodle-loo Summer

Can it be? Summer is seriously coming to a close? NO!!! Was it not just a week ago that we were all having fun in Galveston for Kaitlyn's bachelorette party? Nope, that was the first weekend in May. Good golly, summer moved way. too. fast.

I know what y'all are thinking "oh, really, yet ANOTHER person griping about the speed of the season" ... Yes, this is another one of those gripes. Get off me. It went fast. For everyone involved.

This summer was pretty fantastic, though. Way too much happened for me to post, but I do want to highlight two of summer's "high points".

First - the Battle of the Cattle Shows. Good gracious these were INCREDIBLE!!!! I feel so insanely blessed to have been apart of the first three. Like seriously. Awesome events, AWESOME exhibitors... loved loved loved being able to capture all the fun! If you haven't already, go check out the Belton, Kerrville and Fredericksburg shows on my website here.

Second - the first ever Blinn College Livestock Judging camp. I am so proud of Brice and Joe. They seriously did an amazing job putting together this event. Being able to see almost 100 PARTICIPANTS learning, having fun, creating memories and representing #blinnwin was the absolute shining highlight of my summer. Thank you to everyone who helped make our first camp such a success!!

Now, that brings me to my actual post topic. I know, I'm wordy. Get off me. I was planning on doing an "Uncle Ben" post, but I think I need to do a little more research before I prefect that puppy.

I decided to give a back-to-school pep-post.... just a few words of encouragement and such for those of y'all headed back to school.

First off - for students high school age and younger ::

Okay, so here's what y'all NEED to do the first day of school - go up to your teacher(s) and introduce yourself. Next, tell them what hobbies you have (showing). Now, tell them the importance our industry plays in daily life (die, chipotle, die). Lastly, let them know that you will be missing quite a bit of school because of this absolutely amazing industry. Ensure them that what you are doing is 100% bettering you as a person, as it's both educational and allowing you to make the connections you will surely need in order to succeed later in life. Let them know you will make up any missed work... and actually keep up with that promise.

Maybe bake them some cookies or brownies... Cause who doesn't love pastries?!

If you are a high school junior/senior ::

Start looking into colleges. Explore your options. Don't hold back on ANY dream or thought or desire as far as where you see yourself going. Also, VISIT every college you have in mind. Don't be afraid to go out of state. Hustle. Get yourself out there. Introduce yourself to as many professors, students, leaders as possible. Behave. You are about to be in complete control of your future... wouldn't you like to start on the right foot?

Incoming College Freshmen ::

The actions you take from here on out will effect the rest of your professional life. Think I'm exaggerating? Oh, I'm not. Believe me on this one. So, with that said, BEHAVE. I know, I know... it's college! It's about making friends and making memories. But, remembering those fun times is far more important than actually having them. Again, trust me on this. Be smart. You have so many people that love and care about you and who are cheering you on. Don't let them down. You don't change in college... you find out who you are and become it more. You will meet people who will change your life forever. Let them. But never let them change who you are. You will be faced with some of the hardest decisions of your life. Face them head on. Don't allow yourself to slack. The effects are far greater than you now know. Go to class. HUSTLE. You are being watched. Future employers can be made years before they actually sign your paycheck. Dream. Then chase that dream. Get involved. Meet people. Try new things. Fall in love. Fall out of love. Laugh. Create/meet your future wedding party. Be happy. Love life. These will be the best days of your life. Cherish them.

And most important of all - be proud. Welcome to college... welcome to the rest of your life.






No comments:

Post a Comment