Saturday, February 15, 2014

Vent Session Saturday

Currently, I'm sitting in a hotel overlooking the Riverwalk in San Antonio, Texas. Tomorrow we start day 10 of SALE. It's been an incredible show thus far. Lots of excitement for my show babies, and also lots of disappointment for them. If y'all follow me on social media, than you know how much I love my show family and how much they mean to me....

But anyway... with the thought process of love, also comes the thought process of what you do not love. And thus, another vent session must commence.

If you are not the official show photographer, I don't give a DAMN what media credentials you have, get the eff out of my ring and away from my backdrop. I'm so sick of seeing people post their ringshots, with a tacky logo, or some GOD AWFUL effect on the image. Or a yards shot that is FREAKING TERRIBLE. And get the HELL AWAY FROM THE BACKDROP! What is wrong with you?!?!? You aren't the one that set-up the animal. I AM. You taking that image gives the indication that you did the work on getting that animal looking the way it does. AND YOU DIDN'T. And that's a copyright violation. And makes people think you are more talented than you are. Which is wrong. Cuz I know what kind of set-ups y'all are capable of. And - to put it nicely - they don't look like ours. Now why y'all gonna go and lie to a bunch of innocent exhibitors?

Done pretending. If I whipped my camera out at a show that I was not the official photog for, y'all would have a come apart. So, you pull that low budget camera out around me again, and just be prepared for me to lose all respect for you.

You want to take pictures, EARN THE RIGHT TO BE THE OFFICIAL PHOTOGRAPHER. You know how many exhibitors laugh at the work y'all type of "professionals" are doing? Like a freaking lot. And, no, I am not just saying that.

I love watching "photographers" pop up and then dwindle out within three years.

Just saying.



****This DOES NOT include show mommas trying to get cool pictures of JUST their children. Or breeders who want to take pics of the cattle they bred, raised and sold, like Pearl. Cause Pearl is awesome. And she respects ShowChampions. ****









1 comment:

  1. Just wanted to say I loveee this and I'm so glad someone finally stepped up and spoke the truth. I am no means whatsoever a professional, and I don't claim to be one. I'd be embarrassed to say that, considering I'm still learning the ropes and practicing. I feel for you official photographers these days. I would never have the balls (for the lack of a better word) to stand right behind the official photographer at a show and snap pics of kids in the ring, and then post them everywhere publicly (i.e Facebook). It makes the person doing it look completely ignorant. I think I would lose my cool and maybe not-so-accidentally backhand that persons camera....

    I also totally agree with the tackily edited photos. I've been using Photoshop and other photo editing programs since I was about 12 years old; the same time I started *trying* to take my own pictures. I do enjoy playing around with different actions, mattes, brushes, etc., but nothing annoys me more than heavy vignettes and badly done reverse black and white color editing. And if I add a quote or text of some sort to a photo....I try to at least do the eyes a favor and download a unique font!

    Again, I love this and I hope lots and lots of people give it a read. I hope people don't think I claim to be a "professional", because I can't stand the type of people that do that without any real knowledge. I'm just having fun with my camera, and I let the livestock photography up to the real pros. You guys have it tough, major props to all of you! ~Taylor

    ReplyDelete